Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Realization

I was shopping the other day and while I was standing at the check out I had a realization.  I think I had inklings of it over the years but it settled deep inside me this time.

As I looked over all the isles of "food" all the packaged, tinned, bagged, created in a lab somewhere "food". I realized that I had allowed myself to be brainwashed by those very people creating these "foods". Slick advertising, convincing me that I would be a better parent, citizen, woman, etc. if I ate that food or served my children that food. Or entertained using that food. 

Those boxes and bags and tins convincing me that I could become, svelte, beautiful, successful, seductive if I used those products.  

What those products are in fact doing is killing me, they are poison for my body and my children's bodies, for my loved ones.  I am buying into big business  - I am allowing big business to convince me that I will be all these things that I think I am not. A magic pill to make me perfect because I am convinced I am so imperfect.  And big business takes advantage of that.  Shame on them and shame on me for buying into that.

I have changed my buying habits over the past decade plus and even more so in  recent years.  Purchasing organic, supporting small businesses that provide good service and quality products that won't kill me or mine that my liver doesn't have to filter out along with my other organs. 

I am allowing "food" to kill me slowly but surely and  . . .  I am paying for that favor.  

I am paying for the pleasure of enjoying it in my mouth and my brain being happy that I am buying into  all the hype and here I sit slowly dieing from eating bad food.

Now don't get me wrong, we don't eat processed food as a rule I cook from "scratch" or raw. And we probably eat more consciously than most.  But  . . . this shift was something that came and settled deep.

I chose to eat with health and vitality, I choose to clean with products that are good for our home and our bodies and the world around us (and have done for 20 years  plus with Amway products). I choose to use the most natural of beauty products. My face cleanser is dry powered milk (lactic acid) and organic chickpea flour (this is an ayurvedic treatment based on my body type) and coconut oil for a moisturizer. 

This is not always easy, I still want to buy into the "story" and be like everyone else. To be included in the tribe that rolls along buying their way into feeling good about themselves.  Or just to have a momentary mental break to drug myself. 

Bottom line - why am I buying products from huge stores to put my good money into someone else's pocket?  To make myself poor in spirit, body, and mind, and pocket book too. 

I maintain for me that personal wealth would be to go to the farmers market and purchase everything from them, produce, the jams or jellies, baking, meat and eggs and cheese all the lovely hand made items from each vendor.
Alas, its not always possible with our budget. But for me that would be wealth. To support all these people and their dreams because they help support my dream.

I am so grateful you are each in my life supporting dreams.     Col



No comments:

Post a Comment